Popular Posts

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

MATURITY: Mumu But Sensible


Looking over my experiences in life, I used to be really cocky, as most people are. I would always insist on my rights and defend myself whenever I was "accused" of doing something wrong. But I remember one fateful day in my final year in the University while working on my final project, I did something wrong and my supervisor made a comment;

he said, "Leke will always find an excuse for everything".

What! I was taken aback. This man doesn't even know anything about me, or so I thought.

That day marked the beginning of a lifelong decision to stop making excuses. It wasn't easy at all. It took several years to stop unconsciously making excuses. It was as though I was programmed to give an excuse without thinking, and the excuse always made sense. And it proved a sensible argument, But that was not healthy for me and the destiny I was pursuing.



If you are like me, back then, cos I have grown and moved on, you may never into the fullness of your dreams if you don't shed some weight. Making excuses is a weight and it is a sign of immaturity. Refusal to be corrected is a mark of immaturity too. Both, displayed as cockiness, can be lethal to anyone with a great destiny.

Here's my advice, even if you have to appear like a mumu just to take the mature position, do so. No one gains anything ahead of you for appearing to look stronger. True strength is in character and will power to reach for one's dreams. Today, I have learnt by working and living with very difficult people beginning from my father to be mature: appear like a mumu but actually sensible.

I live now based on this premise: "If it is possible, as much as it lies with you, do everything possible to live in peace with ALL men - good, bad, difficult, suspicious, irritable, unlovable, nonchalant, stupid, backward, annoying, evil, wicked, corrupt, brutal etc."

I have chosen to be mature regardless of what the other party does. We all reap what we sow.

You are an Icon!

To your maturity,

Adeleke David Adekunle
Mr. Effectiveness
Twitter: @davidadeleke

No comments:

Post a Comment